Coastlands Local History Group has been in existence since 2006. It developed out of a WI initiative marking the millennium, for which Dale WI produced a book “Dale – an Illustrated History”. The wealth of material being donated and the great interest shown in the area, led a number of the ladies to become interested in the idea of a local history group. Thus was Coastlands Local History Group born!
The Group is growing all the time. We are always keen to involve those interested in the history of the area.
Membership is £5.00 a year, or £50.00 for a life membership.
Our meetings are held monthly, members pay £1.00, non-members £2.00 – (to cover the costs of speakers/hiring/heating venues).
Most of our meetings are open. However, some, due to constraints of space, are only available to members. All visits are members only…..so membership has its advantages!
*open **members only
* Wed 17th January – “Skomer -people, place and history” a talk by Mike Alexander, Marloes Village Hall 7.30pm
* Mon 5th February – “Wooden shipbuilding” a talk by David James on Tudor ship building, Coronation Hall, Dale 7.30pm. Bring your own models along!
*Wed 14th March – AGM followed by a talk on Marloes Archaeology by Andrew Shobbrook, Marloes Village Hall, 7.30pm
* Mon 16th April – “The RAF’s 100th and its local connections” a talk by Malcolm Cullen, Marloes Village Hall, 7.30pm
* Mon 23rd May – “The Romans in Pembrokeshire” a talk by James Meeke, St Ishmaels Church, Monk Haven, 7.30 pm
** Mon 25th June – “Voyages from Pembrokeshire” a talk by Paul Knight, Dale Yacht Club, 7.30pm
** Wed 27th June – Trip to Magpies Nest, Tempelton, Museum of anything Old and Interesting, £5.00 pp.
* Mon 6th August – “Island Boatmen” a talk by Steve Sutcliffe, Marloes Village Hall, 7.30 pm
* Wed 5th September – ” Commemorative WWI china” a talk by Richard Davies, St Brides Castle, 7.30 pm
* Mon 15th October – ” Pembrokeshire and the WWI at Sea! a talk by Simon Hancock, Coronation Hall, Dale 7.30 pm
*Sat 17th November – Variety Show to celebrate the end of WWI Venue and event TBC.
* open to all **members only.
The Old Stables Heritage Centre, South Street, Dale
The Old Stables Heritage Centre, South Street, Dale is open all year round except on Christmas day.
During the quieter months it is open every Thursday morning 10.00am – 12.00. If anyone is visiting the village during the winter at other times and would wish to visit The Old Stables Heritage Centre, please make contact via our website (link below).
The Group puts on a variety of exhibitions during the tourist season, when the opening times are as follows:-
OPEN EVERY THURSDAY – SUNDAY 11.00 am – 5.00 pm from 17th May 2018
EXHIBITIONS for 2018
17th May – 2nd September “Over the sea…….”
6th September – 18th November ” A time to Remember WWI – a century”.
The Group plans to use the building for interpretation and study purposes. As well as changing displays on Exhibition screens, the group’s archive will be readily available for those wishing to undertake their own private research. Photographs, videos, documents etc are all available, some in digital format, some in hard copy. A catalogue of documents held is available in The Heritage Centre. The building will be manned by volunteers who have local expertise and can inform visitors and organise activities such as talks, children’s quizzes etc. Visitors would also have access to the Group’s library of local source books.
Study sessions and workshops will be arranged for group members to carry out local research.
Coastlands Local History Group (CIO) has its own website.
To contact the group click here.